We hosted our annual Labor Day party this year and I was feeling a refined summer BBQ. The goal was a mixture of recipes that I could make ahead, while also having classic BBQ recipes that would please a large crowd.
The most important part, as Ina Garten says “no one ever remembers what they ate for the main course but they always remember dessert”.
S’more Bar (Graham Crackers, Kit Kats, Gourmet Chocolates, Hershey Chocolates, and Marshmallows).
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake (aka Steve’s Cake or the Best Cake Of All Time)
Kids Drink – Hawaiian Punch Summer Drink
Gin & Tonics
Wine (Malbec, Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Rose)
Notes on the menu:
- I saved time by just buying the bags of coleslaw at the grocery store. I try to do everything myself but I will admit that it was so beyond satisfying to just rip open the bag and mix the dressing I had made ahead.
- Pulled pork is an awesome item to make for a large group of people because it is inexpensive and will feed many people without a large amount of effort.
- When I purchased buns to go with the pulled pork I purchased one bun for every person who had RSVPed for the party. I found that I WAY over purchased bread. I would say it ended up that 1 bun was consumed for every 2 RSVPs (this may help you with purchasing for your party).
- I spent a lot of time research a bbq sauce that I felt would work well with the pulled pork. I found the Neely’s BBQ Sauce matched well with both my families personal tastes and also what I felt would blend well with the rest of the menu.
- The Honey-Roasted Ribs were definitely the hit of the party. They were moist, flavorful, and absolutely delicious.
- For a vegetable side the Grilled Zucchini and Corn Salad was very easy to make the day of and was very popular with adults at the party.
- The Spicy Cucumber Salad was a last minute addition to the menu and it was well worth it. It was easy to make and tasted delicious with the pulled pork.
The Best Fresh Tomato Salsa
Make-Ahead Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
New England Baked Beans
Easy Coleslaw Dressing
Marinate – Honey Roasted Ribs
Rub – Pulled Pork
Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
Spicy Cucumber Salad
Grilled Corn and Zucchini Salad
Honey Roasted Ribs